Jay-Z’s Notorious B.I.G. Quote of the Day: Jay’s “‘N-Words’ In Paris,” Big’s “Victory”
I’d never say Jay-Z is anything less than one of the best rappers of all time. But let’s be real, it’s fucked up when people like MTV say things like he’s the #1 rapper to ever live. How can he be the best when he spends half his verses quoting or referencing The Notorious B.I.G.? Anyone who would call Hov the greatest ever is really just calling Biggie the greatest in my book.
Anyway, we’re gonna start a new feature here at Vandy 311 and see how long we can keep it going. We’re starting with Hov’s most recent Biggie reference, from track three of Watch The Throne.
Biggie: “I perform like Mike/Anyone - Tyson, Jordan, Jackson” - “Victory”
Jay: “I’m liable to go Michael, take your pick/Jackson, Tyson, Jordan Game Six” - “‘N-Words’ In Paris”
Grade: Well, this isn’t a verbatim quote, but it’s clearly a bite. Jay does update it to reference Michael Jordan’s famous last-second shot in Game 6 of the ‘98 Finals, when he threw Byron Russell to the ground like Andre the Giant, hit the title-clinching shot, and then held his pose like “yeah, I’m such a boss that I can do whatever the fuck I want and get away with it out here.” Jay likes to compare himself to Jordan, which I guess would make sense if Jordan had to wait for a better player to die before he started winning titles and MVPs and shit. This lyric kinda references that parallel in a way, tho I’m not sure Jay intended it. We’ll give it a “B.I.” out of B.I.G.
“Sweet Baby Jesus, we made it in America” - Frank Ocean wishing he were Ricky Bobby
Kanye West and Jay-Z… in their dreams
Who “won” Watch The Throne? I mean sure it’s supposed to be a “collaborative” album, but isn’t hip-hop by nature competitive? Because I actually give a shit about these types of things, I assume at least a few of you must also. I went track-by-track and picked a winner for each one (winners in bold).
1. “No Church In The Wild” (Feat. Frank Ocean) - Round One goes to Jay-Z. Dude references the Roman Empire, calls Thanksgiving a facade, and quotes Plato and Socrates before comparing his partner Yeezy to Jesus the Carpenter. CALL 911 THIS MAN’S ON FIRE!
2. “Lift Off” (Feat. Beyonce) - I counted six lines spat by each dude on the entire fuckin’ song, so I guess we give this one to Beyonce, fittingly so since it’s the worst track on the album.
3. “‘N-Words’ In Paris” - Kanye finally strikes back and takes this one for his own. Anyone who thinks J. Cole didn’t jack Ye’s entire style in addition to one of his beats for “Work Out” should just listen to the first four bars of this song. Plus, “excuse my French, but I’m in France” is a great fuckin’ way of saying “I run this shit.”
4. “Otis” - I can’t get over Jay-Z claiming to have invented swag. Like, that’s just blatantly false. And Kanye turning one of Jigga’s lines into “I made Jesus Walks, I’m never going to Hell” is just fucking brilliant.
5. “Gotta Have It” - Kanye takes it with the assassinate my character line and the Maybachs interjection during Hov’s verse.
6. “New Day” - The most lopsided decision since “NCITW,” but in the other direction. Mr. West lays down some real shit, while Hov seems kinda iffy about laying out his own demons to the same extent.
7. “That’s My Bitch” - Jigga finally gets back on the scoreboard. Cause I mean, what does a single guy say to Beyonce’s hubby on a song about their bitches?
8. “Welcome To The Jungle” (Feat. Swizz Beatz) - Guns N’ Roses title? Yeah, but it’s okay, cause Jay-Z is the “black Axl Rose.” Which I guess means Yeezy only gets like six lines in the whole fucking song.
9. “Who Gon Stop Me” - “Heard she fucked the doorman, well that’s cool, I fucked the waitress/Heard Yeezy was racist, well I guess that’s on one basis/I only like green faces.” Jigga may have had the best verse on the disc with “NCITW” but Kanye definitely has the best one-liners.
10. “Murder To Excellence” - He may rap about selling drugs on every damn track, but this is the one where it really helps Jay-Z get deeper into the heart of the topic than Kanye could. And while Jay’s referencing Black Panther killings, Yeezy’s quoting old Hov songs. Pretty clear-cut.
11. “Made In America” (Feat. Frank Ocean) - Not one of my favorite tracks on the album, cause it’s kinda sappy and Frank Ocean keeps singing “Sweet Baby Jesus” with a straight-face as tho it wasn’t a Ricky Bobby quote (props Rap Genius). I give it to Kanye because by the penultimate track I’m getting tired of Jay-Z rapping about selling crack.
12. “Why I Love You” (Feat. Mr. Hudson) - Jay comes full circle by starting this song off with another Roman Empire reference. He has three verses and then trades off lines with Kanye for a fourth, so obviously he’s winning the closer.
Final count: Jay: 5, Ye: 6
And the winner is Yeezy! Damn Hov, maybe if you weren’t so whipped you wouldn’t have lost! Just kidding, I’d totally be whipped if Beyonce was my wife too.
EVERYBODY KNOWS I’M A MOTHAFUCKIN’ MONSTER
Oh wait, that was on the last album… shit. Whatever. Gotta wish a happy Throne Day to all the Jigga and ‘Ye fans on Tumblr. Gonna be having nightmares and shit about these pictures tho.
go cop it NOW
Shit’s playing in my earphones now. I was one hundred fucking percent spot on when I said it would be better than Jay’s last album but not as good as Kanye’s. Definitely better than the Bad Meets Evil album tho, so if that was good in your book, well you probably already copped WTT, but still worth mentioning.
Also the amount of Kanye West hate under the Watch The Throne tag is fucking mind-boggling. Are we gonna sit here and pretend Jay’s propping up Kanye’s career and not the other way around? Just stop it, everybody knows he’s a motherfuckin’ monster. Sheeee-yut
These two guys have a new album coming out in less than 2 weeks. I’d say there’s about a zero percent chance that it’s better than Kanye’s last album. Still… swagger overload warning in effect.
The Heat sold their souls, Lebron would never get a Ring without The Devil's Help!
Back from my weekend :)
I’m OFFICIALLY going to Boston College! How exciting!
Sadly, in other news, I gave in to the temptations of food in Boston...
ON THAT 4-0 SWAG.. WE ARE FAR FROM DONE
lets go eagles
Sometimes I love my school.
AND SOMETIMES I FUCKING LOVE MY SCHOOL.
LMFAO SO I GUESS RIGHT NOW WE'LL GET ANOTHER DOUBLE PLAY