In honor of Tupac Shakur and the city of Boston, I would like to dedicate this to fans of the New York Yankees and New York Jets
This is the XXL cover honoring Tupac Shakur on the 15th anniversary of his death. The greatest and most influential rapper to ever pick up a microphone, Pac was murdered when he was only TWENTY-FIVE years old. There’s millions of articles out there celebrating him as an artist and I think every rapper to blow up since 1996 has quoted him on record at least one time, but I don’t think there’s enough appreciation out there for how much this man did in so short a time. Consider this:
- He is a year and a half younger than Jay-Z (Pac was born in 1971 and Jay in 1969). Jay-Z hadn’t even released his first record at the age Pac was killed.
- Only 3 of the 10 rappers on MTV’s latest “Hottest MC in the Game” list were 25 or younger (Drake, Waka Flocka Flame and B.o.B.) and none of them had (or have) released more than one album. Pac recorded 5 during his lifetime (not counting collaboration albums or posthumous material).
- The albums Pac dropped in 1996 alone, the year he was murdered, sold a combined 13 MILLION COPIES. By comparison, Watch The Throne hasn’t even sold 1 million copies yet.
- Staying on that year 1996, the 2 discs that Pac dropped, All Eyez On Me and The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory are both certified classics (both got perfect XXL ratings from XXL magazine). The only comparison you can make with any rapper ever is Kanye releasing My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and then Watch The Throne within 12 months, except if Watch The Throne didn’t have Jay-Z AND was 20% better.
- Look at the tracklist from his 1998 Greatest Hits album. Take out the 4 previously unreleased songs. That’s 21 required listening singles by age 25. Who else can you say that about? Not to mention that one of those unreleased cuts became one of his biggest hits (“Changes”).
I’m not done with my Pac shit today but I didn’t wanna take up your entire dash. Stay tuned.
2Pac says “WES WELKER TOUCHDOWN MOTHAFUCKA”
The official mascot of Wes Welker touchdowns
2Pac’s Greatest Songs Tournament: Posthumous Bracket
RIP Tupac Shakur
(1) Changes vs. (16) Last Muthafucka Breathin: Even tho “Changes” is outdated now (my president is black, my Lambo’s blue), can’t go against it. And I could make a joke about Pac ending up nowhere near the last mothafucka breathin’, but that would be in poor taste.
(2) Runnin’ (Dyin’ To Live) vs. (15) Baby Don’t Cry: Whoever seeded BDC #15 should be shot in a hilarious body part, like the left butt cheek or something. Narrowly loses to “Runnin’,” which is a Biggie-Pac collaboration from beyond the grave. Rumor has it, if you don’t pick this song, Biggie Smalls appears out of the mirror in your bathroom and kills you (thank you South Park).
(3) Thugz Mansion vs. (14) Troublesome ‘96: “Thugz Mansion” is absolutely fuckin’ awesome, and I don’t really know how they left it off All Eyez On Me (actually I do, it wasn’t good til someone remixed it years later). Still, I always kinda laugh when he says “no man alive has ever witnessed struggles I survived.” Like, I’m not saying Pac had it easy, but there’s I think living in Kim Jong-Il’s North Korea might give him a run for the money.
(4) Realist Killaz vs. (13) Fame: I think 50 Cent’s intro on “Realist Killaz” is the second greatest spoken-word intro on any Pac record, after “that’s why I fucked your bitch you fat motherfucker:” “Tupac cut his head bald, then you wanna cut yo’ head bald! (you PUSSY nigga!) Tupac wear a bandana, you wan’ wear a bandana! Tupac put a cross on his back, you wanna put crosses on yo’ back! Nigga you ain’t Tupac - THIS Tupac!”
(5) Letter To My Unborn vs. (12) When Thugs Cry: We’re not advancing any fuckin’ songs about crying in the 2Pac tournament. No way. Also, “thugs” should be spelled with a Z.
(6) Until The End Of Time vs. (11) When We Ride On Our Enemies: I’m pretty sure he raps about riding on his enemies on literally every song he made on Death Row, so we’re okay eliminating it.
(7) Do For Love vs. (10) Still Ballin’: Cuz he died 15 years ago and HE’S STILL BALLIN’!!!!
(8) R U Still Down? (Remember Me) vs. (9) I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto: Yes I’m still fuckin’ down. And “IWIHGAG” is too similar to the superior “Thugz Mansion.”
Yeah boy, bring on round 2! Shit, I hope they announce it before I forget…
The Heat sold their souls, Lebron would never get a Ring without The Devil's Help!
Back from my weekend :)
I’m OFFICIALLY going to Boston College! How exciting!
Sadly, in other news, I gave in to the temptations of food in Boston...
ON THAT 4-0 SWAG.. WE ARE FAR FROM DONE
lets go eagles
Sometimes I love my school.
AND SOMETIMES I FUCKING LOVE MY SCHOOL.
LMFAO SO I GUESS RIGHT NOW WE'LL GET ANOTHER DOUBLE PLAY